Monday, February 13, 2017

Winter 2017--Myakka Part 3

This Bald Eagle was resting beside Upper Lake when we walked out
on the Bird Walk. It later took off and was fishing beside a juvenile.
We saw the juvenile catch a fish, at which point the adult chased and
(unsuccessfully) tried to take away the fish.

A Ranger told us this was a Stilt. Experts, do you agree?

The alligators along the River Hike were numerous and the most active
 we have ever seen. They were constantly swimming and there were a couple of
brief altercations as territories were crossed.



An osprey fishing overhead

I get my big white birds confused. I think this is a Great Egret.
Can anyone set me straight or confirm?

The jungle-like Myakka River


The same Ranger as above said this was a Limpkin. 

A cormorant dries its wings.

The Canopy Walk with the tower ahead.

The view over Myakka State Park from atop the Canopy Bird Tower

A (presumably) prescribed burn in the distance, beyond Myakka State Park.
You can see the shadow of the Tower on the treetops.

2 comments:

  1. Hi: This seems to be working now! I don't think your bird is a stilt because that only stilt in the bird books has a white boy and a black neck--it's the black-necked stilt. Send the photo to John Baumgartner-I couldn't figure out what it was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for trying! I'm having so much trouble with internet access I will just have to wait until we get home to ask John. C U Soon!

      Delete